Thursday, May 5, 2011

Tapering

"The gun goes off and everything changes... the world changes... and nothing else really matters." - Patti Sue Plummer


  I am ten days away from the Cleveland Marathon. The long runs are over, and even the short runs are few and far between. I know I need the rest. My body is tired and sore. I've got minor aches and pains all over the place, and I need to let myself heal. And I will.

  But its maddening. I have too much time to think. Have I done enough? Have I done too much? What pace should I be looking for? What's the weather going to be like? What exactly should I eat that weekend? Should I try out that new fueling tip, or stick to what I know? Am I bringing my ipod for this race? I decided against getting new shoes a few weeks back, was that a mistake?

  The chatter in my head is constant. I don't go five minutes without thinking about the race. I know that the anxieties will evaporate the moment I take that first step. I know that the questions will turn into statements with every mile. But it can't get here soon enough. I need to get out of my head and onto the street. Which is what I'm going to do right now. I've got eight precious miles on the calender today. And I'm going to savor every moment.

  Almost home.

No comments:

Post a Comment