Saturday, December 31, 2011

33. Wake Up And Fight


   I like the idea of New Year's Resolutions/Goals/Rules/Plans. I like the idea of taking a moment to reflect upon what exactly it is that I want to get out of my life. Of course, plans and goals can change. Unexpected opportunities and circumstances can shift the direction that I want to go. And I'll never live long enough to do all of the things that I can dream of doing. But I'm going to try to do them all anyway. And making a list every now and then is helpful.

Woody Guthrie's Resolutions for 1942
   Most of the things that I'll put on my annual list are specific. Such as last year's "Run Three Marathons", "Clean the Apartment on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of Every Month", or "Blog At Least Once a Month." (I ran two, and I missed the third due to injury. The apartment... Well, there's gonna be a do-over in 2012 on that one. And as for blogging, you're reading Post #52.)  I like to be specific because I'm a cheater at heart. And I need a system that doesn't allow me to convince myself that I've done something, when I actually haven't.

   For other people, the list is more abstract. Do this more. Do that less. Be mindful of this thing and that. And if that works, then that's fantastic.
Feb 2011 - Learning To Ice Skate

   But whatever form the list takes, the process itself is worthwhile. The process of asking yourself to consider what is important. What is fulfilling. And then making the conscious decision to move in that direction. The decision to move with purpose.

2011 Polar Plunge - Lake Michigan
New Year's Day
   It's not so easy as it sounds, of course. And I come up short often. But it beats living life with one hand on the snooze button. So with 2012 just a few hours away, I want to throw a few of my plans out into the internet.

   Writing. Last year, I just wanted to get comfortable with the idea of taking something that I'd written and putting it out into the world. I've done that with this blog. I've posted some random musings from my day to day life, and I've posted other things that have been quite personal. I'm going to continue with that, but I want to do more. I write fiction. I'm not terribly good at it. But I'm not terrible either. Before 2012 is over, I will submit at least three stories for publication. It doesn't really matter where. But I will put them out into the world. I will also complete the project that I've started, which involves interviewing marathoners and writing their stories.

Cleveland Marathon - May 2011

   
   Running. I will run three marathons. Prague in May. Denver in September. And Sacramento in December. I will train my ass off. And by December, I will qualify for the Boston Marathon.

   Travel. Three new countries. Czech Republic. Poland. Russia. Two new states. Oregon and Washington.

   I'm going to fill that list up with some smaller goals too. But that'll do for this post.

   Thank you, whoever you are, for taking the time to read this blog. I hope you've had a great year. And I hope you've got an even better one coming. Happy New Year, Internet Surfers! See you in 2012!  

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I like that your goals are specific. I also like that the phrase "living life with one hand on the snooze button." I might verbally co-opt that one. Happy New Years, Chris!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 2012 resolutions list is almost complete.

    I looked over my 2011 resolution list and I realized it was way too general. This year, my list is much more specific and thus (as of right now)seems more attainable. I am very excited about putting check marks all over my 2012 list.

    Cheers to the New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more. One of the things I've definitely noticed, for myself at least, is that unless I'm incredibly specific with my goals and resolutions, nothing that I call "important" ever gets done and gets put on the back burner while I'm just doing the daily grind stuff that pops up in front of my face. "Write more," "exercise more," "meditate more," etc - these are all fine goals, but when _exactly_ are they going to happen? If you don't specificy these things just tend to get frittered away. Best wishes to you in the New Year my friend, hope it's filled with peace and joy and all that other good stuff. [p.s. I also love "living life with one hand on the snooze button," and if and when I do co-opt, verbally or otherwise, I'll make sure to credit you]

    ReplyDelete